In 1244, according to a statement by Bishop Boniface of Lausanne, the “Miracle of Hooidonk” happened here with a splinter of the Holy Cross: a splinter of wood floated against the stream. That miracle happened at the inauguration of the chapel of the priory. The priory was founded in 1146 as a final monastery for noble sisters and existed until 1650. When the monastery was expropriated after the Peace of Münster, and. It was purchased and inhabited by Jonker Cornelis Proeningh from Deventer, quail bout from Peelland, and his descendants. It was probably demolished around 1780. Cellar remains still remind of the priory. In 1954 a new chapel was built, using the foundations; and a cross road with sculpture by Piet Schoenmakers was built in the park.