SINT-CLEMENSKERK

Heuvel 21,           Gerwen

A stone hall church was built here between 1350 and 1400. Between 1420 and 1440 it was replaced by a simple cross church with a defensible west tower. The current church of the basilica type with three bays dates from 1620. In the years 1887-1889 the church got its neo-Gothic appearance. Protestant worship services were held here from 1648 to 1798, then used as a German parish church until 1969. Since 1983 the church has been served by the Priest Brotherhood Pius X. The historian A.M. Frenken was a pastor here from 1926 to 1952.

Tussen 1350 en 1400 werd hier een stenen zaalkerk gebouwd. Tussen 1420 en 1440 werd deze vervangen door een eenvoudige kruiskerk met een verdedigbare westtoren. De huidige kerk van het basiliektype met drie traveeën dateert van 1620. In de jaren 1887-1889 kreeg de kerk zijn neogotisch aanzien. Van 1648 tot 1798 werden hier protestantse erediensten gehouden, daarna tot 1969 in gebruik als Gerwense parochiekerk. Sinds 1983 wordt de kerk bediend door de Priesterbroederschap Pius X. De historicus Mgr. A.M. Frenken was hier pastoor van 1926 tot 1952.

Lijst informatieborden / List of info plaques

U bevindt zich op de website van “De Drijehornick”, de heemkundekring van Nuenen.